Friday, September 5, 2008

Longing for Uniqueness but Laziness Dictates Otherwise

So I love all the beautiful yarns that are hand-spun and hand-painted. However every time I settle myself on buying a skein or two, reality hits. I have three kids and a full-time job, not to mention my husband and hobbies. I don't have time to hand wash socks. I already know how it would end up. I'd start tossing them in the laundry on the "intimates" cycle, washing them alone at first. Then I'd get tired of that (I used a laundromat which means I'd be spending $1.00 to wash my socks) and I'd throw them in a lingerie bag in my regular clothes. Eventually I'd just toss them in with the rest of the clothes and they'd get ruined, if they already hadn't been by that point. I don't even want to deal with that heartache so I don't bother. I use acrylic yarns or cotton, washable ones. I also bought some Superwash wool recently. I'll try everything, as long as I can wash it with my pants and bras (which might explain why I go through so many bras!) Also I don't want to take time to crochet an item for a gift that has to be hand washed and risk the receiver not using it or wrecking it. So my gifts this year will be in machine washable yarns as well.

That won't keep me from visiting the hand painted yarn pages and sighing though!

No comments: